You can find on this page the Tel Aviv old map to print and to download in PDF. The Tel Aviv historical map and the vintage map of Tel Aviv present the past and evolutions of the city of Tel Aviv in Israel.
The Tel Aviv old map shows evolutions of Tel Aviv city. This historical map of Tel Aviv will allow you to travel in the past and in the history of Tel Aviv in Israel. The Tel Aviv ancient map is downloadable in PDF, printable and free.
The ancient port of Jaffa changed hands many times in the course of history. Archeological excavations from 1955 to 1974 unearthed towers and gates from the Middle Bronze Age. Subsequent excavations, from 1997 onwards, helped date earlier discoveries. They also exposed sections of a packed-sandstone glacis and a "massive brick wall", dating from the Late Bronze Age as well as a temple "attributed to the Sea Peoples" and dwellings from the Iron Age. Remnants of buildings from the Persian and Hellenistic periods were also discovered. The city, Jaffa, is first mentioned in letters from 1470 BCE that record its conquest by Egyptian Pharaoh Thutmose III as you can see in Tel Aviv historical map. Jaffa is mentioned several times in the Bible, as the port from which Jonah set sail for Tarshish; as bordering on the historical territory of the Tribe of Dan; and as the Jaffa Port at which the wood for Solomon Temple in Jerusalem arrived from Lebanon. According to some sources it has been a port for at least 4,000 years.
In 1099, the Christian armies of the First Crusade, led by Godfrey of Bouillon occupied Jaffa, which had been abandoned by the Muslims, fortified the town and improved its harbor as its shown in Tel Aviv historical map. As the County of Jaffa, the town soon became important as the main sea supply route for the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Jaffa was captured by Saladin in 1192 but swiftly re-taken by Richard Coeur de Lion, who added to its defenses. In 1223, Emperor Frederick II added further fortications. Crusader domination ended in 1268, when the Mamluk Sultan Baibars captured the town, destroyed its harbor and razed its fortifications. In 1336, when a new Crusade was being planned, Al-Nasir Muhammad had the harbor destroyed to prevent the Franks from landing there. For the same reason, both the historical town and the harbor were destroyed in 1345. In the 16th century, Jaffa was conquered by the Ottomans and was administered as a village in the Sanjak of Gaza. Napoleon besieged the city in 1799 and killed scores of inhabitants; a plague epidemic followed, decimating the remaining population. The surrendering garrison of several thousand Muslims was massacred.
Jaffa began to grow as an urban center in the early 18th century, when the Ottoman government in Istanbul intervened to guard the historical port and reduce attacks by Bedouins and pirates. However, the real expansion came during the 19th century, when the population grew from 2,500 in 1806 to 17,000 in 1886. From 1800 to 1870, Jaffa was surrounded by walls and towers, which were torn down to allow for expansion as security improved. The sea wall, 2.5 metres (8.2 ft) high, remained intact until the 1930s, when it was built over during a renovation of the port by the British Mandatory authorities as its mentioned in Tel Aviv historical map. During the mid-19th century, the city grew prosperous from trade, especially in silk and Jaffa oranges, with Europe. In the 1860s Jaffa small Sephardic community was joined by Jews from Morocco and small numbers of Ashkenazi Jews, making by 1882 a total Jewish population of more than 1,500. The first Jews to build outside of Jaffa, in the area of modern day Tel Aviv, were Yemenite Jews. These homes, built in 1881, became the core of Kerem HaTeimanim (Hebrew for "the Vineyard of the Yemenites").
The Tel Aviv vintage map give a unique insight into the history and evolution of Tel Aviv city. This vintage map of Tel Aviv with its antique style will allow you to travel in the past of Tel Aviv in Israel. The Tel Aviv vintage map is downloadable in PDF, printable and free.
In 1896 the Yemenite Jews established Mahane Yehuda, and in 1904, Mahane Yossef. These vintage neighbourhoods later became the Shabazi neighbourhood. During the 1880s, Ashkenazi immigration to Jaffa increased with the onset of the First Aliyah as you can see in Tel Aviv vintage map. The new arrivals were motivated more by Zionism than religion and came to farm the land and engage in productive labor. In keeping with their pioneer ideology, some chose to settle in the sand dunes north of Jaffa. The beginning of modern-day Tel Aviv is marked by the construction of Neve Tzedek, a neighborhood built by Ashkenazi settlers between 1887 and 1896. The Second Aliyah led to further expansion. In 1906, a group of Jews, among them residents of Jaffa, followed the initiative of Akiva Arye Weiss and banded together to form the Ahuzat Bayit (lit. "homestead") society. The society goal was to form a "Hebrew urban centre in a healthy environment, planned according to the rules of aesthetics and modern hygiene". The urban planning for the new city was influenced by the ideas of the Garden city movement.
In 1908, the group purchased 5 hectares (12 acres) of dunes northeast of Jaffa. Following this purchase, Meir Dizengoff, who later became Tel Aviv first mayor, decided to join Ahuzat Bayit as its shown in Tel Aviv vintage map. His vision for Tel Aviv involved peaceful co-existence with the Arabs. In April 1909, 66 Jewish families gathered on a desolate sand dune on what is now Rothschild Boulevard to parcel out the land by lottery using seashells. This gathering is considered the official date of the establishment of Tel Aviv, although some neighbourhoods, such as Kerem HaTeimanim, already existed. The lottery was organised by Akiva Arye Weiss, president of the vintage building society. On 21 May 1910, the name Tel Aviv was adopted. Tel Aviv was planned as an independent Hebrew city with wide streets and boulevards, running water at each house and street lights. By 1914, Tel Aviv had grown to more than 1 square kilometre (247 acres). However, growth halted in 1917 when the Ottoman authorities expelled the Jews of Jaffa and Tel Aviv. A report published in The New York Times by United States Consul Garrels in Alexandria, Egypt described the Jaffa deportation of early April 1917.
Under British administration, political friction between Jews and Arabs in Palestine increased. On 1 May 1921, the Jaffa Riots erupted resulting in the deaths of 48 Arabs and 47 Jews and injuries to 146 Jews and 73 Arabs. In the wake of this violence, many Jews left Jaffa for Tel Aviv, increasing the population of Tel Aviv from 2,000 in 1920 to around 34,000 by 1925. Tel Aviv continued to expand in 1926, but suffered an economic setback between 1927 and 1930. The Ben Gurion House was built in 1930–31, part of a new worker housing development. Tel Aviv gained municipal status in 1934 as its mentioned in Tel Aviv vintage map. From April 1948, the Arab residents began to leave. When Jaffa was conquered by Israeli forces on 14 May, few remained. When Israel declared Independence on 14 May 1948, the population of Tel Aviv was over 200,000. Tel Aviv was the temporary government center of the vintage State of Israel until the government moved to Jerusalem in December 1949.